Style is SUBJECTive: Media Center with Mrs. Ethridge

Demonstrating the correlation between a teacher’s subject to their classroom decorations
Ethridge standing in front of the media center. She is the media specialist, and offers a variety of services for students.
Photo by Trenton Nolan

Does the subject affect the decorations located in the classroom? Prepare to enter the media center to see how Jessica Ethridge, the Media Specialist, decorates the library.

As the Media Specialist, Ethridge handles all of the library services, teaches students to use databases, and runs technology for kindergarten through twelfth grade. She has been an educator for thirteen years and is a mother to a three-year-old and a six-year-old. On the side, she is also learning to crochet with the crochet club that meets every other Tuesday in the Library.

Ethridge spends her days in the school library, so books are a large part of her life. Creating her own literature is something she has wanted to pursue for a long time.

“I’ve always wanted to be a children’s author,” Ethridge said. “I love teaching so this was kind of the perfect combination for me,”

The media center is a resource for students, but many don’t know much about it. It is a comfortable, quiet environment available to all students. If technology help is sought, the tech team in the media center is available. Books are on display for students to check out and read, or even listen to.

Mental Health is vital to a strong educational environment, students require a positive mindset to learn efficiently. As a result, Ethridge also provides games and puzzles for students who need to take a break from the long day and refresh for their upcoming classes.

“I feel like every student should have a safe space and a place that they’re comfortable that’s different than just a classroom setting,” Ethridge said.

More often than not, decorations are displayed on the windows near the entrance to the media center. These change as the year progresses. Near Halloween, decorations such as bats, and ghosts were displayed. This persists for the entirety of the year, changing depending on the holiday or season.

“But I usually like to pull the display together for the windows that relate to either like the theme or time of year,” Ethridge said, “And then pull books and titles that relate to that theme for kids to see as they walk by.”

The media center, run by Ethridge, is the perfect place to seek a comfortable change of scenery, where many student services are available.

Throughout this endeavor, I’ve learned that while many classrooms share similar aspects and decoration choices, they all have something that makes them stand out from the crowd. In foreign languages, it’s the vibrant colors and pieces of culture, and English has a bright, lively classroom. These subjects are unique in their own distinct ways, but all band together to create a learning environment that benefits all students.