In Trenton We Trust: Procrastination

In Trenton We Trust: Procrastination

A satirical review on how procrastination can be detrimental

Procrastination is a universal experience. Whether you’re a high school student or a middle-aged accountant, chances are you’ve put off something important at some point. From delaying doing the dishes to hitting the snooze button repeatedly in the morning, procrastination comes in all shapes and sizes.

But what makes procrastination so bad? In my opinion, it’s a bad habit. I often find myself pushing off homework or other tasks to “future me.” However, when that future arrives, it often stabs me in the back. While the adrenaline rush of completing something just before the deadline can be exhilarating, the resulting quality of work is usually something straight out of a kindergarten classroom.

Some people seem to have mastered the art of procrastination. They efficiently do work without worry, completing them just in time, sometimes even during the class period when they’re due. Those who can procrastinate with such ease earn my respect, as it’s no easy feat.

On the contrary, some are opposed to procrastination. I’ve seen students finishing assignments seconds after getting them, even when the deadline is days away. Take a break, you’ve earned it, believe me.

Procrastination becomes especially troublesome during finals season. The workload intensifies, and the pressure is almost crushing. AP Exams are a prime example. Despite study plans like “15 weeks to a five” in AP World History, few, if any, actually use them. Maybe a better plan would be “one day to a five,” an entire evening of cramming to grasp what’s on the test barely.

As the end of the school year nears, many fall under the influence of senioritis, a phenomenon not limited to seniors but that is more prevalent among them. With summer around the corner, motivation dwindles and procrastination reaches its peak, often resulting in grades dropping.

Take this as a warning to keep the workload small and limit procrastination, especially now. Finals are approaching and some of us need to lock in for the academic comeback of the century because even this article is past its deadline.