Categories:

Pump that Wolf Pack Spirit Up!

Looking at the “behind the scenes” of school spirit
Pump that Wolf Pack Spirit Up!

School spirit seems to be at an all time low. Pep rallies, football games, spirit weeks, and other school events are an opportunity for students to show their school pride. But often, they simply don’t. Freshmen keep silent during pep rallies, no one shows up to sporting events, and not even half of the school actually participates in spirit week.

So why is that? Surely, some students think they are too “cool”, especially under pressure from their friends, but a large majority of the problem has to do with a lack of respect and appreciation for those who coordinate these events. Many students are oblivious to the sacrifices their peers and teachers make in order to ensure all this is possible.

Science teachers Cheyanne Zelei and Dr. Dan Dischler advise the Student Council. They both put in a lot of effort, show up on weekends and work extra hours to create a positive environment for students.  

“It makes me feel very sad and disappointed to see a continual drop in students who actually want to participate,” Zelei said. “It’s sad, but I would even be okay seeing at least half of the students trying to get involved.”

It also takes a toll on students who work alongside Zelei and Dischler on Student Council.  “I have to feel for them because they really do put in so much time and work to make a lot of the stuff around the school happen,” Zelei said. “Even giving up their own time to do so.”

The lack of school spirit is not only a disappointment to those who work hard to set up school events, it also affects participating students.

“It always makes me sad to see people who don’t want to participate in school activities, especially football games or pep rallies,” sophomore cheerleader Catelyn Gaboury said. “We work hard to learn chants and make a fun environment, but students don’t seem to realize that.”

Whether you show up to a game or wear pjs to school, all show your team spirit and support both peers and staff. As Administrative Coordinator Kenda Olson said, “Just by showing up, you make a difference!”

Donate to The Howler
$105
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Elkhorn North High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.