Reviving Faith in Elkhorn North

Revival Bible Study is a student-led club that sparks kindness and friendship throughout the school on a foundation of faith.

On a beautiful Friday morning, students gather and chat about their weeks, and smiles spread across their faces. Moments later, a sense of peace falls over the room as the students take turns reading passages from the Bible. The students seem happy throughout the day, reflecting on the positive messages they heard that morning. These students are members of Revival Bible Study. 

Meetings are held every Friday morning at 7:00 a.m. in Spencer Peterson’s room, H115. A typical meeting includes an icebreaker activity, a reading of Bible passages, and a discussion of how the passages relate to life. Breakfast is provided.

Revival Bible Study, or Revival for short, is led by seniors Sarah Bachman and Chelsey King.

Any and every student is encouraged to participate, regardless of his or her background in faith. 

“It’s a safe place for anyone who wants to come,” Bachman said. “If you have questions, you know, it’s okay to ask those questions, even if you don’t believe in God.”

Discussions are often over important topics such as self-worth, forgiveness, and how to live a meaningful life. The group has a rule that whatever is discussed in the meeting will not be shared with other people outside of the group. Revival is judgment-free, which is often refreshing for students. 

“Everyone is vulnerable, but we know whatever is said in a meeting stays between us,” Rinn said.

In addition to creating a safe place for students, Revival also aims at making an impact around the school. The members hope that their positive attitudes and light for God will help spread love throughout the student body. They also hope to form a community where sharing your faith is not frowned upon. 

“We just try to be the light, be encouraging, and be uplifting to one another,” Bachman said. 

Students listening to a guest speaker at Revival Cross. (Photo by Sarah Bachman)

Special meetings called Revival Crosses are also held about once a month. Students from different schools, churches, and faith backgrounds are invited. The goal of Revival Cross meetings is to bring the youth of Omaha together. Prayers for schools and the city are offered. Often there are guest speakers who share their own life experiences.

These meetings are impactful for the students who participate in them. Many leave healed from physical and mental hardships after powerful prayers. Additionally, friendships rooted in faith are created between students of different schools.

“The only way I can describe it is refreshing,” Rinn said.

Students gathering at Revival Cross. (Photo by Sarah Bachman)

The moving experiences at Revival Cross and the impressive leadership between Bachman and King have led to the creation of Revival bible studies at other schools. This year, the club has spread to Papillion La Vista High School and Millard North High School.

As leaders, Bachman and King help pick out the passages and thought-provoking questions for the discussions. This is no easy task considering they are trying to reach a wide audience of students.

Although great friends now, Bachman and King were only acquaintances prior to the creation of Revival. Due to this, the club had an odd beginning. Feeling a call to action in her heart, Bachman approached King at lunch one day. 

“I didn’t really know Chelsey. I didn’t know if Chelsey was a Christian. I asked her randomly, ‘Hey do you want to start a bible study with me’,” Bachman said.

King said ‘yes’, prompting the two to start the club.

The name “Revival” came from the words of a song Bachman and King heard at church. The two agreed it was what the school needed.

Despite Bachman and King pitching their idea to the administration, Revival is still not sanctioned as an official school club. This means the club is solely student-led, although. Peterson allows meetings to be held in his classroom. Peterson is not an official sponsor and can not participate in discussions but was willing to open his doors for the club’s meetings. 

“I’ve done a lot of stuff with FCA, Campus Life, and Youth for Christ, so it was no big deal at all,” Peterson said.

Although Revival has gained around 30 members, some Elkhorn North students and parents find the club to be controversial. The main question is if a religious club should be allowed at a public school. 

“I definitely don’t think it [the club] should be controversial,” Bachman said. “It’s student ran; a teacher doesn’t run it, and all the students who want to show up can show up.”

This hasn’t stopped backlash from pouring in. Students and parents alike have voiced negative thoughts on a public school having a bible study on school grounds. 

Bachman and King have chosen to not take the comments to heart, and instead, focus on the positives. They have a support system through Revival that makes battling negativity easy. 

“Not everyone is going to agree with me and that’s okay. I have to think about who I’m doing it for,” Bachman said. 

Members have seen positive benefits to Revival in their lives. The focus on discussing everyday conflicts and finding people who have similar issues helps students feel supported. It also helps people gain a deeper understanding of the Christian faith. 

“It helps me find peace, and it allows me to explore different perspectives of scripture and better understanding,” Rinn said.

Some new things expected in Revival this year include going through an entire book in the Bible and doing more activities to make the group grow closer together.

“Come join it, you won’t regret it!” Rinn said.