Seniors Austen Allen, Austin Shirley, Collin McMahon, Aidan Claris, Jayse Munter, Tytus Kunz, Zac Horner and Tyler Murphy cheer lead at the girls powder puff game on September 13, 2023. They help hype up the student section with chants and games.
Photo by Chloe Cannon

Powder Puff Press

Late push is not enough as the Black Team falls to Pink.

On Wednesday, September 13th, the first official Elkhorn North Powder Puff game took place. Tensions were high between the Black and the Pink teams, as this game had been the talk of the entire school for multiple weeks.

After a phenomenal pregame routine by the Powder Puff cheerleaders, the game began with a beautiful touchdown pass to the back of the end-zone by quarterback Mckenna Murphy that gave the pink team the first lead of the game. They never lost it from there. 

The two teams would trade touchdowns on the next two possessions, and in the final seconds of the first half the Pink team would score a long touchdown, giving themselves a two score lead going into halftime.

The Black team’s coaches Sam Thomas, Brock Marler, and Tommy Meckna would not let their team go down without a fight. While the Pink team partied around with their three coaches Chris Thiessen, Johnny Ferguson, and late addition Johnny Tran, the Black team was huddled up, getting dialed in for the second half. 

The Black tam came out fast with a passing touchdown from quarterback Britt Prince to Grace Jesske, a wide receiver. They were then able to get a quick three and out and got the ball back, but would then give it right back to Pink with an interception.

Pink team then scored a quick touchdown on a deep post to Morgan Sachs and improved their lead to 12 with less than five minutes remaining in the game.

The Black team was able to score again, but the clock was not on their side. They tried to make a stop, but the Pink team converted a long third down, extinguishing the little hope the Black team had. The Pink team was able to run out the clock, and become the first ever Powder Puff Champion.