Style is SUBJECTive: Math with Mr. King

Demonstrating the correlation of subject to the decorations in the classroom
Mr. King standing in front of his classroom. King teaches math in H117.
Photo by Trenton Nolan

It’s common knowledge that teachers like to decorate their rooms differently based on the subject that they teach, let’s determine how factual this actually is. Prepare yourself to head over to the math department and into Mr. Andy King’s classroom. 

Vinyl of LeBron James posted up in Mr. King’s classroom. King is a big basketball fan. (Photo by Trenton Nolan)

To be honest, his classroom is sort of bland. King’s classroom has the basics of most math classrooms: a poster of a calculator and some math problems, the usual phone caddy, and a National Honors Society shirt order form hung on the board.

King is a big sports fan and  coaches the varsity boys basketball team. He’s laid back, often someone who students hope to see in the hallway on the trek to their next class.

“I got a few of my own types of decorations,” King said. “I don’t want to make distractions in the room, I guess.”

Math can be a tough subject where it’s vital to pay attention, so a classroom that isn’t booming with distractions is a good idea. The decorations that make his class different from the rest is the accessories that embrace his love for sports. 

“I noticed my classroom was a little boring. So I wanted to put something in. I ordered a giant LeBron life-size fathead,” King said.

This life size LeBron is an attention grabber. Placed directly in front of the door, it can be seen from out in the hall. It is placed in the back, so it will not distract students, but it also puts a personal spin on King’s room.

A wolf logo that stands in the window sill above Mr. King’s desk. This displays King’s love for his school. (Photo by Trenton Nolan)

“I’m the biggest LeBron fan you’ll meet, and he just looked great coming into the room and having that be the first thing that everyone sees,” King said.

Last time, we went to Ms. Hollst’s room and determined that English classrooms are full of life and vibrant colors. As we can see, math and English are very different subjects. King’s classroom is not bright, nor is it filled to the brim with eye-catching decorations. King displays his personality without being too distracting. We now know that the math department isn’t big on decorating, but with what little things they do have, they are able to make their room perfect for the subject.

King’s decorations are just right for his classroom, and we wouldn’t have him change a thing.