Wolf of the Week: Ava Spies

Volleyball player experiences an interesting change her senior year.
Ava Spies hits the ball during the 2022 state championship game against Skutt Catholic. She played the entire game as a middle hitter.
Photo by Brandon Urbano

Most seniors stick to what they know when finishing their final year, but senior Ava Spies had to make a change in her position on the court. 

Spies has played on the varsity volleyball team as a middle hitter since freshman year. It was not until her senior season that she began playing as an outside hitter. Spies was forced to try a position with no notice. Changing from a hitting middle hit that is quick and uniformed to an outside hit which is a harder and more out of control, demonstrates her level of adaptability and athleticism. 

“I get more balls. It’s hard going from middle to outside because it’s such a faster tempo at middle. While outside you get most of the out of system balls, balls you just need to keep in play,” Spies said.

Spies saw a situation and adapted to the change quick and smooth, like a professional. She jumped into a new position and exceeded the expectations of her coaches and teammates. 

“She has played both roles [middle and outside] pretty well but she’s more athletically an outside than she is a middle,” reserve coach Kaylee Prenosil said.  

Spies performs better as outside than as a middle, which displays her coachability and athleticism. She demonstrates the want to play and will do anything the coaches ask of her. 

“Ava has energy, she always is motivated, she’s a teammate but she is always the one who wants to win it for the team. So anytime they are in trouble she’s going to step up and be that teammate that’s like let’s do this,” Prenosil said. 

Spies is known as an encouraging teammate, and one that is willing to do anything for the team. 

“I always look up to her when I’m on the court with her, she’s like my inspiration,” teammate Freshman Reagan Wallraff said. 

Wallraff plays on the court with Spies often. Spies sets an example for younger and newer volleyball players by  giving her all and encouraging the best out of everyone. She is a role model and has the ability to adapt to any role asked of her. 

“Ava always pumps everyone up on the court even when we are losing a game and just brings us more energy,” Wallraff said.