Your Fearless Writers (and a Photographer)

Elkhorn North journalism competes in State Journalism for a fourth year in a row.

On April 22, the staff behind the North Howler took on the NSAA Class B State Journalism Championships in Norfolk, Neb. 

Each year, during the month of February, submissions open for journalism advisers across the state to submit their students’ best work. There are 25 categories (13 newspaper, 12 yearbook) from headline writing to video production. More information about the categories, rules, and requirements can be found here.

North Howler adviser Chloe Healy submitted 32 articles and assets for the preliminary competition. As a result, 11 students qualified for finals across eight of the 13 newspaper categories. 

(All submissions and results from the preliminary round can be found here.)

The students who qualified went on to compete at live writing events held in Norfolk at the Lifelong Learning Center on the Northeast Community College campus. The live events vary on style and topic based on the category. 

The results of the final round were as follows:

• Paityn Christoffels (10): 7th in Newspaper Feature Writing
  • Ellie Hoegemeyer (12): 1st in Newspaper News Writing
  • Grace Jesske (12): 3rd in Broadcast Public Service Announcement
  • Chelsea Mahloch (11): 1st in Newspaper Column Writing; 5th in Headline Writing
  • Kailey O’Brien (11): 4th in Newspaper Feature Writing 
  • Garrett Ringenberg (10): 8th in Newspaper Sports Feature
  • Mallory Ringenberg (12): 2nd in Headline Writing; 8th in Newspaper Column Writing; Editorial Writing (Opt-ed out)
  • Harrison Vokt (10): 6th in Editorial Writing
  • Trenton Nolan (10):  7th in Newspaper Column Writing
  • Brandon Urbano (12): 2nd Action Sports Photography; 3rd in Broadcast Public Service Announcement
  • Katelyn Hughes (12): Entertainment Review Writing (Opt-ed out)

As another year of writing wraps up for the North Howler Staff, the program continues to show growth and development across all aspects of writing and creating. Elkhorn North strives to bring Elkhorn Public Schools into the modern era of journalism with a focus on using digital content in a journalistic way. Elkhorn North has paved the way for the renaming of the EPS journalism department to “News Media” as opposed to the traditional “Newspaper” class. 

The North Howler staff thanks you for your support and looks forward to your continued support for student journalism at Elkhorn North High School. To follow along with all the latest news and activities follow us on Instagram and Tik-Tok.