Prom Dress Debacle

Teenage girls argue about the trending prom dress.
Senior Sarah Spencer and her date, Asher Robinson, walk into prom on April 13, 2024 with smiles on their faces. Both were a part of their school cross country team.
Photo by Chloe Mead

The springtime of the school year is said to be prom season. Students search for countless hours to find the perfect prom dress or suit to experience the event of a lifetime. Disagreement about the “proper” prom dress sparked conversation on social media after teenage girls began to post pictures and videos of their new style of dress. 

The classic prom dress has sequin and bright colors. The new, trending prom dress, known as Easter dresses, are associated with the look of an Easter Sunday dress. They are said to have a boho look and contain floral designs, pastel colors and a flowy skirt. 

“The Easter dresses are a lot more simple. There’s not as many layers or sparkles. The classic dress is definitely a lot bigger; there’s just like a lot more going on with it,” said junior Malorie Rohe. 

Many girls believe that the simple dress is not appropriate for prom. They say that the Easter dresses can be worn on multiple occasions and a true prom dress should only be worn once, that being at prom. 

“I think people are upset because prom is really special and [girls] are wearing pretty casual dresses,” said sophomore Meghan Coe. 

Because prom is specifically for upperclassmen (juniors and seniors) students are only able to wear a prom dress twice. 

“Looking for a prom dress is a super special experience, and you should get a unique dress and not a casual dress that you can wear for other events,” said sophomore Meghan Coe. 

Part of the prom experience is trying on a variety of dresses that are different from homecoming or formals. The sparkles and bright colors are a part of the fun and rarity of the event.

Though some may think the two different types of dresses could clash, on the other side of the spectrum the incorporation of different styles, colors, and prints brought a unique look to the dance. 

“[In my group] there was a mixture of [dresses]. But the mixture of the Easter and Classic dresses

looked amazing together,” said junior Malorie Rohe. 

Everyone has their own opinion on what dress you should or shouldn’t wear. The most important thing to do is wear what you desire. 

“There shouldn’t really be a debate; you should just wear what you feel confident in,” said junior Malorie Rohe. “Whether that’s an Easter dress or sparkly dress.”