Student Spotlight: Michael Grigsby

When it came down to continuing his athletic career in college it would either be soccer or cross country, and Michael Grigsby chose the one that many people see as wretched exercise. Running.

Michael Grigsby showing natural endurance at the cross country meet.

It was a tough decision for Grigsby, and it boiled down to how well each season went. He waited to see how he felt after the fall season of cross country to decide if he should focus on running or soccer. While running in the fall for the high school, he played club soccer as well trying to make it when he could for practice and games. 

“It was sort of a puzzle to fit around his soccer schedule,” cross country coach Bob Wolf said. Grigsby worked hard in both, so his decision could have gone either way.

When Grigsby went on college visits, he met with both the soccer and cross country coaches to help make this choice.After meeting the team at Doane University, he decided to commit to run track and cross country. 

“I loved the atmosphere of the cross country team and the coach was awesome,” Grigsby said. 

His love for track and cross country started in middle school at St. Patrick’s when he ran the mile, the 800, and the 400 meter races. Freshman year he then decided to try cross country. 

“I started to like it mainly because of the people on the team which I am still friends with,” Grigsby said. 

As the years have gone by, he has grown to love it more and more. Grigsby will run year round at Doane since he committed for both track and cross country. In the fall, he will be running cross country, winter will be indoor track, and the spring will be outdoor track. He doesn’t know yet which events he will run for track, but he is ready to compete in any event they put him in.

“His natural endurance and hard work will take him far in his college career,” Wolf said.

Grigsby’s high school career contained two state appearances and medals in some meets including EMC. As Wolf put it, Grigsby is a “dogged competitor” and hates to lose. His ability to break 17 minutes in a 5k as well will set him up for success in college. 

Although he chose the path of running over soccer, Grigsby will still miss playing soccer. 

“You can get excited before a soccer match, but a race is more self preparation,” Grigsby said.  

He will miss the teammates from both sports and the memories made with them as he moves on to college. Grigsby is excited to continue to run. There are of course also some nerves, but Grigsby is looking at it from a positive angle. 

“I am nervous, but that’s just what college is in general,” Grigsby said. “It’s nerve racking but exciting as well.”