Style is SUBJECTive: Art with Lucks

Demonstrating the correlation between a teacher’s to their classroom decorations
Lucks standing in front of her Ceramics and Art classroom. Her room is located in G009.
Photo by Trenton Nolan

Do teachers decorate their classrooms differently depending on the subject that they teach? Prepare to find out as we enter the art room of Nicole Lucks.

Lucks has taught all of the art classes though she currently teaches Ceramics One, Ceramics Two, Creative Techniques, and Graphic Design Illustrator. She runs an art club at Elkhorn High School, coaches seventh-grade basketball, and is a busy mom.

“I had an awesome high school art teacher who made me fall in love with art,” Lucks said. “She really sparked my interest and gave me tools and techniques to take my artwork above and beyond.”

Art is a place where students can hone their creative skills to make beautiful works. Lucks takes pride in her students’ work and uses pieces gifted to her to decorate her classroom. This a unique spin of student representation in decor is not often seen in other classes. Though Lucks has taught art for 14 years, she has created art for much longer. Lucks’ love for art is seen through her years of practice, learning, and mastery of the subject.

“I want my classroom to be a place where everybody feels welcome, where everybody feels comfortable taking risks because doing art is all about taking risks and trying something that may not work and making the best out of it,” Lucks said. “I want it to be fun.”

Last time I ventured over to Vann’s history classroom, I discovered that history is filled with informative decor that benefits the student’s learning process, and motivating quotes that help push them through the day. First, I went to Hollst’s English classroom that’s bright and colorful, with a lot of inspirational quotes. This time, I took a trip to Lucks’ Art classroom and decided that it’s a place full of creative freedom and pride in one’s talents. A place where people can turn their artistic ideas into magnificent works of art.