How Important Is It Really?

Everyone knows the saying “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”, but is that true?

By Sami Frost, Managing Editor

Let’s play two truths and a lie. One- gum takes years to digest; two- breakfast is the most important meal of the day; three- hot water freezes faster than cold water. 

The lie is… drum roll please… number one! That means the phrase breakfast is the most important meal of the day is true. This saying is extremely popular, and has been since the 19th century. 

“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day” originated in the 1800’s when James Jackson and John Kellogg tried to advertise their breakfast cereal. They believed a delicious and good-tasting breakfast was important to protect against evil. So, they coined this phrase to try and protect people by making them buy tasty breakfast food.

The phrase have lived on ever since, but not for the same reasons. Some people might think parents say it just so their kids eat something, and that might be partly true. Although, there are more evident facts to backup breakfast’s importance. 

One of the most apparent reasons breakfast is believed to be more important than lunch and dinner is you fast overnight for around 8 hours so your body needs those nutrients in the morning. These nutrients gained through breakfast give you energy and boost your metabolism. Chelsey King, a junior, said “It sets you up for a good day and helps you wake up.”

This is all true under certain conditions, if you eat 3 bowls of Froot Loops for breakfast it is not going to go well. On the other hand, a great option for a nutritious breakfast is oatmeal, yogurt, and a smoothie. This helps your body get the day started right.

Oatmeal is a great healthy breakfast option, and can be made many different ways. (tasteofhome.com)

Breakfast being the most important meal of the day cannot be proven because it is an opinion; although, there are many facts that show skipping it has worse effects than skipping lunch or dinner. This is because breakfast provides the feeling of fullness for the day ahead of you, if you skip it you can get very hungry and eat more than you usually would later on. Grace Tanner, a sophomore, agreed with this saying when she doesn’t get breakfast it causes hunger. 

She always tries to eat breakfast though. “On weekdays, I have a toasted bagel with cream cheese and coffee. On Saturdays, it’s either that or peanut butter waffles, and on Sundays, I go to Starbucks before church and get a coffee and breakfast sandwich,” Tanner said. King said she usually has a protein shake and yogurt or cereal for breakfast.

Skipping breakfast causes worse eating habits than the contrary. (Penn State)

The question of whether breakfast is the most important meal of the day can never have a definitive answer. Although, breakfast has proven to be very important, it has benefits including increased satiety, improving your mood, better metabolism, and more.