Elkhorn North’s likely move to Class A

ENHS is soon to exceed the limits to remain a Class B school.

With the predicted growth of Elkhorn North High school (ENHS), it is expected the Wolves will compete at the class A level within two years. 

Elkhorn North currently has 941 students in grades 9-12. In two years, it is estimated ENHS will exceed the class B limit of students. 

If Elkhorn North moves to class A, the school would not move back down to class B at any time. When Elkhorn North switches to class A, it will also leave the EMC conference. 

This change could have a big impact on the student athletes, and take some getting used to when playing unfamiliar teams. 

“Yeah we will miss some of our biggest rivalry games but it would be super fun to create new rivals and start new traditions,” sophomore Reagan Palmer said.

Head baseball coach Anthony Dunn knows what it is like to have success in class B, he believes this move to class A would come with many unknowns, but also positive changes in competition.

“The biggest challenge would be with the depth in the number of kids and talent compared to top end teams,” Dunn said. 

Since opening in 2020, North has won seven state titles (girls basketball, girls track- 2021 and 2022, baseball- 2022, girls golf- 2021, girls tennis- 2022), so the move to class A would present new opportunities for its athletic programs and athletes. 

“We have seen what we can do at class B, maybe there is more to us we can prove in class A,” Reagan Palmer stated.  

Our goal is to always compete at the highest level regardless of class,” girls assistant golf coach Michelle Seger said. 

Exiting class B could excite the athletes and coaches who feel they are ready for the opportunity. 

“The boys believe that they are the underdogs and need to prove themselves,” Dunn said. “Whatever they believe they can do, they will.”